Friday, November 13, 2009

CYCLAMENS! How do I not kill them?!?

I love cyclamens, but for love nor money can I get them to survive. I'm normally a green thumb (really!) My mum told me to put them outside as they thrive in the cold, but that didn't work, but having them inside doesn't seem to help either. Any tips?

CYCLAMENS! How do I not kill them?!?
There are a couple of different kinds of Cyclamens. The larger, more showy flowered ones are strictly for inside use, unless you live in a hot climate. The small flowered ones are the outside type. Yes, they die back during the summer months. And, yes, they like a shady location. They don't require any special attention. I have a patch of them in very nasty, clay soil and they have been pretty happy there for about fifteen years.
Reply:Cyclamen must be kept dry and shaded. They disappear during the summer and then reappear and bloom in the Fall. The foliage then remains until the next Summer.


No comments:

Post a Comment